JMJM,

You bring up a very good question.

According to Merriam-Webster Online the definitions of these words and my
opinion as how they could be applied to zen are:

MYSTICAL
1:a : having a spiritual meaning or reality that is neither apparent to the
senses nor obvious to the intelligence
[Bill!]  Zen is not 'spiritual' and is definitely apparent to the senses, so
this definition doesn't seem to fit.  Zen is however not obvious, nor even
accessible as far as I'm concerned, to the intelligence.
  b : involving or having the nature of an individual's direct subjective
communion with God or ultimate reality
[Bill!]  This is pretty close, although I would take out the words 'subjective'
and 'God or ultimate' which leaves 'direct communion with reality'.

MYSTICISM
1: the experience of MYSTICAL union or direct communion with ultimate reality
reported by MYSTICS
[Bill!]  I could live with this definition.
2: the belief that direct knowledge of God, spiritual truth, or ultimate
reality can be attained through subjective experience (as intuition or insight)
[Bill!]  Again, this is close, but I don't associate Buddha Nature with
intuition or insight - although I know in the West these could be used as a
poor substitute.
3:a : vague speculation : a belief without sound basis
[Bill!]  I don't like this one at all.
  b : a theory postulating the possibility of direct and intuitive acquisition
of ineffable knowledge or power
[Bill!] This is pretty close.  I like the word 'ineffable'.  That definitely
fits.  I don't like the words 'intuitive, acquisition, knowledge and power'.

In English, 'mysticism' is generally associated with God or 'hidden' knowledge
or insight.  I associate zen with just everyday stuff.  It's no big deal.

...Bill!