JMJM,

You asked if "...Zen has a "mystic" practice?"

My short answer would be definitely NO.

My long answer would be:  Buddhism may have mystical practices, and therefore
Zen Buddhism may also; but zen in and of itself is the opposite of mysticism as
the term is usually used.  It is nothing special.  It is available to all
sentient beings.  It is just everyday life.  Zen practice is the 'cypress tree
in the garden', 'three-pounds of flax', 'a dried shit-stick'.  Zen practice is
Just THIS!

An addendum (long one) to my long answer is:  I differentiate Zen Buddhism and
zen.  I do not believe zen is co-dependent with, exclusively associated with or
a merely a sub-set of Buddhism.  I do of course recognize a sub-set or sect of
Buddhism called 'Zen Buddhism'.  I refer to this in my posts as 'Zen' with an
upper-case 'Z' to denote it is a proper noun. I use 'zen', which I believe to
simply be the direct experience of reality, with a lower-case 'z' to refer to
non-denominational zen.

For me Zen Buddhism is a Buddhist expression of zen.  It has taken the essence
of zen and has encased it with the religious dogma of Buddhism.  A further
extension of this would be 'Japanese Zen Buddhism' as contrasted with 'Korean
Zen Buddhism'.  These have been further encased with culture values associated
with the Japanese or Korean cultures.  This layering goes on and on and on
until the layers are so thick the kernel or essence which is zen is sometimes
completely obscured.  This is also true of Christianity, and I believe all
other 'religions'.  In fact that is what I think most 'religions' are: a
stylized expression of zen - which as I said above very often puts more
emphasis on the layers of 'style' than the kernel of 'zen'.

I think there are certainly 'mystic practices' within most religions.  I think
religions encourage the belief in 'mysticism' to protect the layers they've
overlaid on the basic kernel of zen, and to justify the creation of hierarchies
within the religion - like lay people, monks, priests, prophets, 'mystics',
etc...  'Mysticism' protects the religion by shielding it from access by most
of the 'lay people' so the upper hierarchies, such as priest classes, can
continue to define and reinforce the adherence to the layers.  Although
'mystics' are sometimes seen as rouges and revolutionaries in a religion, they
only are allowed to do so under the watchful eye and approval of the religions
upper hierarchies.  Of course some 'mystics' are not accepted, and they are
either denounced as 'heretics' or, if they are popular enough, might succeed in
breaking off a group into a sect or even a new religion - such as Jesus did.

...Bill!