From: Zen_Forum@yahoogroups.com [mailto:zen_fo...@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf
Of DP
Sent: Sunday, October 03, 2010 3:24 AM
To: Zen_Forum@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [Zen] Re: Unclear on what is mind

My concern then is the idea of losing the mind, either through senility or
dementia or mental illness. If we are stripped of our cognitive abilities,
then where is the mind, and how can we still practise?

--- In Zen_Forum@yahoogroups.com <mailto:Zen_Forum%40yahoogroups.com> ,
"cid830" <summitj...@...> wrote:

> DP,
>
> I think the concept of mind is the basis of Buddhism. From my perspective
in practise, the mind is key to ultimate nirvana and the obstruction to
getting there. It is the cause of our suffering and the only way to relieve
that suffering. It is the reason we seek out religions to answer our
questions of who we are, and the reason we still doubt no matter how much we
want to believe. Through our mind we will find our Ultimate Widom, but we
have to dissolve our ego and attachments, everything we have learned to
distinguish us as individuals, and of those things the mind doesn't easily
let go!

> Master Bill is right, this is the Zen Forum. And Buddhism can be separate
from zen, that is up for discussion. Many things can be related to zen. If
you would like to discuss your views on religion with compassionate
individuals, I'm sure you can find a friendly place here. And we'll find a
way to relate them to zen.

> Thank you DP, and thank you Master Bill,
>
> it's good to be back.
>
> Chris D
>
> --- In Zen_Forum@yahoogroups.com <mailto:Zen_Forum%40yahoogroups.com> ,
"DP" <wookielifeday@> wrote:

> > Part of my fear of death is not so much of death but of senility or loss
of memory. In western terms, that's what I think of as mind. But I have to
admit, I dont know if I fully understand the Buddhist concept of mind. Can
anybody help with this?

database 5498 (20101002) __________