Kristy,

You ask a good question, and of course I don’t have good answers to really good
questions.

>From my experience in zen I think any being that has SOME form of sensory
>awareness – a sentient being – has Buddha Nature.  The West (and I think the
>East also) divides the senses into 5 senses – sight, hearing, touch, smell and
>taste.  Of course we in the West especially divide EVERYTHING into fragments.
>That’s a big part of Western rationalization, especially of science.  We think
>that if we break things down into pieces, and the pieces become simple enough
>that we can ‘understand’ the pieces, we will then be able to ‘understand’ the
>whole.

Back to the senses…  From my experience in zen I think the division of senses
into sight, hearing, etc…, is a meaningless exercise, because when you are only
aware of sensory experience (Buddha Nature) there is no differentiation between
sight, hearing, etc… , no duality.  It’s all Just THIS!  So, I think people
(beings) that are blind or deaf or both still can experience ONLY awareness
(Buddha Nature), and in fact (this is just wild SPECUALTION on my part) MAYBE
can become only aware of sensory experience (Buddha Nature) more easily than
someone who has all their senses.

I’ve also thought this about people who have very low intelligence – like an IQ
of 40 or lower.  Surely we can’t say they do not also have Buddha Nature, or
that they because they aren’t very smart, will never be able to experience
Buddha Nature.  I just don’t think it works like this.  That very fact leads me
to conclude that intelligence is not a factor when it comes to experiencing
Buddha Nature.

And then this could be extended to non-humans – to animals.  Do animals (like a
dog) have Buddha Nature?  I think I’ve heard about someone asking that before
;>).  Dogs are sentient beings, so why not?  Yet their intelligence is nothing
compared to a human.

And how about plants?

Of course what I’m doing here is dividing the Whole into an increasingly larger
number of groups.  That’s discrimination.  That’s rationalization.  That’s
creating dualisms.  That’s the one thing that our discriminating mind does, and
that’s the main thing that takes us AWAY from realizing the Whole, the One,
Buddha Nature.  And it is in that sense that I believe zen is anti-intellect,
or at least intellect-neutral.  It is still my opinion at least that the
intellect plays absolutely NO PART in discovering Buddha Nature, and if it does
it’s usually a detrimental role, not a helping role, and certainly not an
essential role.

…Bill!