Mayka,  (by the way, speaking of misspellings, I have a hard time not spelling
your name as ‘Makya’ – I don’t know why that is.  I actually had to add the
proper spelling of your name to my Spellchecker to make sure I get it right…)

You ask very good questions and I’ll try to answer:

I have a question:

If the goal of the koans is to lead the student to the non discriminative mind
and to drop the thinking, what is the point of giving such a nonsense koans
that leads to more entanglement in the mind?.

[Bill!] The short answer to your question is the discriminating mind needs to
be entangled so that it can no longer function.

The purpose of a koan is indeed to assist in stopping the activities of the
discriminating mind.  This is the mind that creates all illusions, but most
fundamentally the illusion of duality – self/not-self (or other).

The way a koan does this is to give your discriminating, rational mind
something to work on that is non-logical.  Something that cannot be reasoned
out.  You (your discriminating mind) tries and tries, and finally gives up and
shuts down.  This could be because it gets frustrated or tired or maybe just
bored – I don’t know why really, but I know from experience this can finally
happen.  When it does happen and all thinking stops, Buddha Mind appears - or
perhaps ‘is revealed’ is better since Buddha Mind was there all the time but in
the background, being obscured by the much more active, attention-grabbing
discriminating mind.

  Is it no much more simple and easier to just sit down and breath in awareness
of the in and out breathing?.  In a way that everytime a thought, sensation,
mental formation, any kind of distraction...arises one goes back to the
awareness of the breathing.

[Bill!] Yes, this is much more simpler and direct.  This is the usual teaching
advice of Soto Zen.  What you are describing is exactly how a zen master would
instruct you to sit shikantaza (clear mind).  The more you practice what you’ve
described, the less often thoughts arise and the more clear mind (Buddha Mind)
persists.

If you use ‘getting wet’ as a simile for ‘enlightenment’ or ‘awareness of
Buddha Mind’, I’ve heard the differences between the use of teaching of just
shikantaza and the use of koans to be this:

-          Soto Zen and shikantaza is like being lead out into a peaceful
garden and left to walk around in a soft mist or very gentle rain.  You get wet
so gradually you don’t even notice it until you come inside and someone points
it out to you.

-          Renzai Zen and koan study is like someone giving you a little puzzle
to solve, and then while you’re working on it they sneak up behind you and push
you into a lake.  You’re immediately soaked and come up out of the water
gasping for air and wondering ‘what just happened to me?’.  The experience is
then smoothed out and more fully integrated with further koan study.

  Hope this helps answer your questions…Bill!