From: Zen_Forum@yahoogroups.com [mailto:zen_fo...@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf
Of ED
Sent: Thursday, November 04, 2010 10:16 PM
To: Zen_Forum@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [Zen] Re: FW: Quote from St. Thomas Aquinas

Definitions of illusion on the Web:
• an erroneous mental representation
• something many people believe that is false; "they have the illusion that
I am very wealthy"
• delusion: the act of deluding; deception by creating illusory ideas
• magic trick: an illusory feat; considered magical by naive observers
wordnetweb.princeton.edu/perl/webwn
• An illusion is a distortion of the senses, revealing how the brain
normally organizes and interprets sensory stimulation. While illusions
distort reality, they are generally shared by most people. ...
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Illusion

Bill,
Thanks for clarification of the sense in which persons who are enlightened
(are in a state of satori)  experience reality (or non-reality)  - namely,
as 'Maya' (illusory).
However to the more than 99.9999% of humans who do not experience
satori, 'Maya' is very, very real.
Therefore, I submit to the Zen Forum the proposition that how the very,
very few experience reality (or non-reality) is not relevant to the world.

> Mayka,
>
> What I meant to say was that if you are living in a world of illusions
(maya) compassion is a badge of honor and something you need to cultivate
and practice.

> If you are not living in a world of illusions there is no compassion, no
honor, nothing to cultivate and nothing to practice. There is Just THIS!

database 5592 (20101104) __________

database 5592 (20101104) __________