From: Zen_Forum@yahoogroups.com [mailto:zen_fo...@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf
Of ED
Sent: Tuesday, November 23, 2010 10:09 PM
To: Zen_Forum@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [Zen] Re: FW: Quote from St. Thomas Aquinas

My belief about a koan is that your response, verbal and/or non-verbal, and
your body language in particular, confirms in the Zen Master (who can read
you like an open book in any case) as to the state of evolution of your
heart-mind.
--ED

--- In Zen_Forum@yahoogroups.com, siska_...@... wrote:

> Hi Bill,
>
> Yes, I suppose I was speaking only for myself. I should really look up for
this 'Mu', it's been mentioned so often in this forum.

> siska
> Siska,
>
> The historical stories of koans are full of verbal responses. Like 'The
Oak Tree in the Garden', or  'A dried shit-stick', or the most famous of all
'Mu' .Bill!

> Hi Bill,
>
> > They are usually delivered as a question (What is X?) or a request (Show
me Y.).

> This was also mentioned in the article Ed posted. I can't imagine any
words able to represent the responds to all those koans.

> siska

> Siska,
>
> A koan doesn't have to be either historical or a story. Current zen
teachers very frequently create a koan especially tailored to address what
they feel are inadequacies of a particular students.
> These probably wouldn't be delivered in story form. They are usually
delivered as a question (What is X?) or a request (Show me Y.). You don't
read much about these because they are a very personal communication between
the teacher and student.

> The koans generally referred to are historical stories, accounts of the
actions especially interactions of historical zen masters. The two most
referenced works containing koans such as these are THE GATELESS GATE and
THE BLUE CLIFF RECORD.

> The quality that makes a koan a koan is that it is a direct expression of
Buddha Nature.

database 5643 (20101123) __________

database 5643 (20101123) __________

database 5643 (20101123) __________