JMJM,

Here are some thoughts from a Zen Teacher's Dharma Talk on the subject
of breathing during zazen:

"Breath is a core component of zazen. Gently settle your breath into its
natural rhythm. Start your in-breathing from the base of the abdomen.
Feel the diaphragm rise and fall. Without force, extend your out-breath
until all the air has been expelled. When the body is ready it will
respond naturally with a gentle inhalation. The in-breath should be
exquisitely slow, gentle and steady. Large volumes of air are not
required to maintain the body during a sit."

--ED