Mel,
 
Stories always go astray from mouth to mouth. I read that Buddha got serious 
stomach trouble from eating a rare mushroom offered by his devotee Cunda. 
However, Buddha never refused meat when it was part of the alms and he did not 
kill or cause to kill the animal for meat.
 
Cunda was still said to have made great merit by offering delicacy to Buddha, 
though it triggered the death. 
 
Anthony

--- On Sat, 15/1/11, Mel <[email protected]> wrote:


From: Mel <[email protected]>
Subject: [Zen] the death of the prince, vegetarianism?(to Chris/Kristy/list)
To: [email protected]
Date: Saturday, 15 January, 2011, 9:12 PM


  









--- On Sat, 15/1/11, ChrisAustinLane <[email protected]> wrote:








On Jan 14, 2011, at 7:01, Kristy McClain <[email protected]> wrote:

> Mel pondered if my suggestion that Buddha's enlightment was impermanent, when 
> I offered that even Buddha likely had "bad hair days". 

I missed that thread, but it is an interesting question. What if Buddha had 
gotten alzheimer's? being awake is a dynamic process not a static thing. 
--------------------------------------------------------------------
MEL: Hi Kristy and Chris. Kristy your reply was quite inspiring. You've put it 
better than I did(I have an excuse...you're the one with the 
education..*sighs/laughter*)
 
Chris, I don't know about azheimer's but I assume that health conditions in 
those days might have been pretty bad. However, I did get from the late 
Deshimaru-sensei's writings that the Buddha apparently died from eating some 
pork-meat. Wild boar perhaps?...which leads to this (conservative/mainstream) 
so-called Buddhist belief(looks more like an issue to me) about the need to 
abstain from meat. According to Deshimaru-sensei, the Buddha preached none of 
this(How about fish?)
 
Don't get me wrong, because I personally love my vegies, fruit, tofu, beans and 
so on...but I'm not quite clear on this 'vegetarian' thingy
 
Be well
Mel
 
 






Reply via email to