Thanks,
Chris Austin-Lane
Sent from a cell phone

On Jan 15, 2011, at 5:12, Mel <[email protected]> wrote:

> Don't get me wrong, because I personally love my vegies, fruit, tofu, beans 
> and so on...but I'm not quite clear on this 'vegetarian' thingy

I am vegetarian and the thing I tell my kids is that since I do not need to eat 
meat and since the world has too many people to support every one eating meat, 
I abstain (except for my cultural high holy days: Thanksgiving, Christmas, and 
New Years).   

I must confess to enjoying not having to shudder so much when the PETA people 
get some footage of the abattoirs in front of me, but I do not do it for that 
reason. 

There is an advantage to not eating meat for environmental reasons is that the 
environmental consequences of out behavior is mostly based on the aggregate 
total of all out behavior, so the first duty of an environmentalist is to 
persuade others, not to be a beacon of purity. If you are 99% pure but piss of 
your neighbors to the extent that they compensate for your purity, you have 
achieved no environmental savings. 

------------------------------------

Current Book Discussion: any Zen book that you recently have read or are 
reading! Talk about it today!Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:
    http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Zen_Forum/

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to:
    http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Zen_Forum/join
    (Yahoo! ID required)

<*> To change settings via email:
    [email protected] 
    [email protected]

<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
    [email protected]

<*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:
    http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

Reply via email to