Merle,

Buddhism teaches there have been many, many Buddhas:

"Theoretically, the number of Buddhas having existed is enormous and they are
often collectively known under the name of "Thousand Buddhas". Each was
responsible for a life cycle. According to some Buddhist traditions,
Dīpankara (also Dīpamkara) was a Buddha who reached enlightenment
eons prior to Gautama, the historical Buddha.
Generally, Buddhists believe that there has been a succession of many Buddhas
in the distant past and that many more will appear in the future;
Dīpankara, then, would be one of numerous previous Buddhas, while Gautama
was the most recent, and Maitreya will be the next Buddha in the future."
- Source: wikipedia.com

But these are just the 'Buddhas', those who have been totally enlightened.
There are presumably almost numberless people that have experienced Buddha
Nature because of the teachings of these Buddhas.  Just where you draw the
lines between 'experienced Buddha Nature' ('kensho' in Japanese), a strong
enlightenment experience ('satori' in Japanese), a Bodhisattva and a 'fully
enlightened Buddha' I don't know.

Again, all the above is my understanding of Buddhist dogma, doctrine and
teachings, and not really pertinent to the zen I practice.

...Bill!