Hello Merle,

Reincarnation means our spirit is beginningless and is undying. Each generation we come to earth with a different body. If you are interested about this subject, go read these books: http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_sc_0_10?url=search-alias%3Dstripbooks&field-keywords=many+lives+many+masters&sprefix=many+lifes%2Cstripbooks%2C312

Since human beings on earth lives mostly in suffering, we must stop reincarnation. In other words, liberate our spirit from these cycles of birth and death. Buddhist call it Dependent Origination. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dependent_origination

It is just because the world is filled with greed, hatred and delusions, we need to let our spirit soar to save this world. Only when our spirit soar above these contamination, we then are able to have wisdom to fulfill the purpose of our lives, that is to liberate everyone.

When our spirit is covered by our mind and karmic temptations, then its original quality such as loving kindness, peace, joy are buried. Clarity is lost. Actions becomes self serving.

JM