hallo JM..

many thanks for this..
my doubts are such that:  every human thought is a mental game...
this "knowledge"  as in these links is no more or no less but speculation...
is it true
 is it truth?.....
is it the way
 it certainly could be a a path
 is it the only path
 and who will be the teacher
 and who will be the student

 no matter how much they listen
 the human still falls by the wayside
 and causes grief and suffering upon others and his or her self
 is that not the nature of the beast

 born from a single cell
 risen from the mud
 the original pond
 it stumbles to become

becoming an unknown being
becoming nothing
 but  nothing
 as nothing as nothing can be

and nothing we all are and will ever be

merle

Hello Merle,

Reincarnation means our spirit is beginningless and is undying.
    Each generation we come to earth with a different body.  If you are
    interested about this subject, go read these books:
http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_sc_0_10?url=search-alias%3Dstripbooks&field-keywords=many+lives+many+masters&sprefix=many+lifes%2Cstripbooks%2C312

Since human beings on earth lives mostly in suffering, we must stop
    reincarnation.  In other words, liberate our spirit from these
    cycles of birth and death.  Buddhist call it Dependent Origination.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dependent_origination

It is just because the world is filled with greed, hatred and
    delusions, we need to let our spirit soar to save this world.  Only
    when our spirit soar above these contamination, we then are able to
    have wisdom to fulfill the purpose of our lives, that is to liberate
    everyone.

When our spirit is covered by our mind and karmic temptations, then
    its original quality such as loving kindness, peace, joy are buried.
    Clarity is lost.  Actions becomes self serving.

JM

On 5/22/2013 8:19 PM, Merle Lester wrote:

> jm...
>

>i am keen on chan..
>what do you mean by reincarnate?..don't you mean recycle?...
>ashes to ashes dust to dust..hence dust to soup then the cycle begins
>again...?
>this reincarnation "theory" has me bamboozled...
>is it not just another mind game?
>how can you be free with spirit soaring when there is so much suffering in the
>world caused by the greed of others?
>merle
>

>Hi Bill,
>
>Thank you for asking..  Below are my
                            comments for your reference..  I have read
                            this article awhile back..

>Chan by definition is One and ALL.  Meaning
                            it is the absolute dharma applicable to ALL
                            things - body, mind and spirit.  As well as
                            it can answer every question written in the
                            sutra and bible.   In other words, with a
                            simplest practice, it can rejuvenate our
                            body, clear our mind and let our spirit
                            shine by eliminating all karma.  And at the
                            end of it all, our spirit will stop
                            reincarnating.  We will be in heaven.

>Most of the Chan teachings by an
                            unenlightened master, stops at the mind
                            level, because they don't have the spiritual
                            power to help people to eliminate their
                            karma.  This article ends at the mind
                            level.  For most of the people, if one can
                            achieve ego-less, it would already deserve
                            celebration, because the world will be a
                            better place.  This is what we call "Chan
                            Living", or everyday Chan. Living by
                            fulfilling each moment.  But you still
                            reincarnate.

>Most of the Chan teachings does not cover
                            the spiritual practice, because it deals
                            with lights, chi and abstract phenomena.
                            Yet, once you experience consistent
                            phenomena with lights and chi, you will know
                            they are the actual causes of everything.
                            The world is really run by energy.  In other
                            worlds, the spiritual practice is the
                            practice dictating our body and mind.
                            Fundamental Chan practice is a spiritual
                            practice.  If you recall, seven or eight
                            years ago, when I first join the forum, I
                            asked, "is there spirituality in Zen?"

>BTW, how do we know whether a person is
                            enlightened or not?  The proof is in his
                            dead body.  If he dies at his preferred time
                            without sickness, and there are relics after
                            he was cremated, then he is enlightened.

>My Shifu said, "the parents of all my
                            disciple, even though they do not practice,
                            they still will have relics when they die."
                            I have witnessed that every time.

>In short, I like to suggest to the forum,
                            instead of using your mind to judge whether
                            you wanted to try our way of meditation or
                            not, just try it diligently for six months,
                            then you shall experience.  There is nothing
                            worth any of us to hang on too, or to hold
                            them with our life.   Chan is taught beyond
                            words and through transmission.

>Chan is about direct experience of ALL
                            things.  Using our mind to filter or
                            discriminate only narrows our scope
                            resulting in practice with our mind and not
                            our spirit.  Let our spirit soar and be
                            free.

>Thank you for the opportunity to share,
>jm
>

>On 5/22/2013 1:19 AM, Bill! wrote:
>

>>Mike and JMJM,
>>
>>Mike, Thanks for this link. I pulled up
                                the article will wait to read it until
                                JMJM says he thinks it's worthwhile
                                doing so. I don't want to have 3 or 4
                                versions of Ch'an rolling around in my
                                head. The mix we get here on the Zen
                                Forum about zen is confusion enough, and
                                I trust JMJM's insight and knowledge on
                                Ch'an.

>>JMJM, If you would please read the
                                article cited below and tell me what you
                                think of it. It's looks pretty thorough.
                                It's by Ch'an Master Sheng-yen (1977) if
                                that helps you make that determination
                                without reading it.