Hi Edmund,

On Jan 31, 2012, at 5:43 PM, Edmund White wrote:

> You will definitely want to have a Smart Array card (p411 or p811) on hand
> to update the firmware on the enclosure. Make sure you're on firmware
> version 0131. You may also want to update the disk firmware at the  same
> time.
>
> I have multipath and my drive LEDs work well enough to perform drive
> identification.
> I'm on NexentaStor, though. My scsi_vhci.conf looks like:
>
> scsi-vhci-failover-override =
> "HP      EG0300", "f_sym",
>                "HP      MO0400", "f_sym",
>                "HP      DG0300", "f_sym",
>                "HP      DH072", "f_sym";

Please file a support ticket with Nexenta and ask them to update issue #5664
to add these to the default list.

>                device-type-mpxio-options-list=
>                "device-type=HP      EG0300",
> "load-balance-options=logical-block-options",
>                "device-type=HP      DG0300",
> "load-balance-options=logical-block-options";
>                logical-block-options="load-balance=logical-block",
> "region-size=18";

IMHO, it is easier to set the default to logical-block in scsi_vhci.conf, which
is
exactly what Nexenta issue #5664 does.

NB, the changes for issue #5664 can't be added to the NexentaStor 3.x branch.
Look for them in the next major release. For new installations, you can add the
changes, though.
 -- richard

> [...]
>> - It seems the firmware can't be upgraded if you don't have one of a few
>> special HP raid cards! Silly!
>> - The LEDs on the disks: On the first bay it is turned off, on the rest
>> it is turned on. They all flash at activity. I have no idea why this
>> is, and I know to little about SAS chassises to even guess. This could
>> possibly change with a firmware upgrade of the chassis controllers, but
>> maybe not.
>> - In Solaris 11, the /dev/chassis/HP-D2700-SAS-AJ941A.xx.../Drive_bay_NN
>> is supposed to contain a soft link to the device for the disk in the
>> bay.
>> This doesn't seem to work for bay 0. It may be related to the previous
>> problem, but maybe not.
>>
>> (We may buy a HP raid card just to be able to upgrade their firmware.)
>>
>> If we have had the time we probably would have tested some other jbods
>> too, but we need to get those rolling soon, and these seem good enough.
>>
>> We have tested them with multipathed SAS, using a single LSI SAS 9205-8e
>> HBA and connecting the two ports on the HBA to the two controllers in the
>> D2700.
>>
>> To get multipathing, you need to configure the scsi_vhci driver, in
>> /kernel/drv/scsi_vhci.conf for sol10 or /etc/driver/drv/scsi_vhci.conf for
>> sol11-x86. To get better performance, you probably want to use
>> load-balance="logical-block" instead of load-balance="round-robin".
>> See examples below.
>>
>> You may also need to run "stmsboot -e" to enable multipathing. I still
>> haven't
>> figured out what that does (more than updating /etc/vfstab and
>> /etc/dumpdates
>> which you typically don't use with ifs), maybe nothing.
>>
>> Thanks to all that have helped with input!
>>
>> /ragge
>>

>> -------------
>>

>> For solaris 10u8 and later, in /kernel/drv/scsi_vhci.conf.DIST:
>> #######################
>> device-type-scsi-options-list =
>> "HP      D2700 SAS AJ941A", "symmetric-option",
>> "HP      EG", "symmetric-option";
>> # HP 600 GB 2.5 inch SAS disks: EG0600FBDBU, EG0600FBDSR
>> symmetric-option = 0x1000000;
>>
>> device-type-mpxio-options-list =
>> "device-type=HP      D2700 SAS AJ941A",
>> "load-balance-options=logical-block-options",
>> "device-type=HP      EG", "load-balance-options=logical-block-options";
>> # HP 600 GB 2.5 inch SAS disks: EG0600FBDBU, EG0600FBDSR
>> logical-block-options="load-balance=logical-block", "region-size=20";
>> #######################
>>

>> For solaris 11, in /etc/driver/drv/scsi_vhci.conf on x86
>> (in /kernel/drv/scsi_vhci.conf.DIST on sparc?):
>> #######################
>> #load-balance="round-robin";
>> load-balance="logical-block";
>> region-size=20;
>> scsi-vhci-failover-override =
>>      "HP      D2700 SAS AJ941A",     "f_sym",
>>      "HP      EG",           "f_sym";
>> # HP 600 GB 2.5 inch SAS disks: EG0600FBDBU, EG0600FBDSR

ZFS Performance and Training
richard.ell...@richardelling.com
+1-760-896-4422