Hi,

my oi151 based home NAS is approaching a frightening "drive space" level. Right
now the data volume is a 4*1TB Raid-Z1, 3 1/2" local disks individually
connected to an 8 port LSI 6Gbit controller.

So I can either exchange the disks one by one with autoexpand, use 2-4 TB disks
and be happy. This was my original approach. However I am totally unclear about
the 512b vs 4Kb issue. What sata disk could I use that is big enough and still
uses 512b? I know about the discussion about the upgrade from a 512b based pool
to a 4 KB pool but I fail to see a conclusion. Will the autoexpand mechanism
upgrade ashift? And what disks do not lie? Is the performance impact
significant?

So I started to think about option 2. That would be using an external JOBD
chassis (4-8 disks) and eSATA. But I would either need a JBOD with 4-8 eSATA
connectors (which I am yet to find) or use a JBOD with a "good" expander. I see
several cheap sata to esata jbod chassis making use of "port multiplier". Is
this referring to a expander backplane and will work with oi, LSI and mpt or
mpt_sas? I am aware that this is not the most performant solution but this is a
home nas storing tons of pictures and videos only. And I could use the internal
disks for backup purposes.

Any suggestion for components are greatly appreciated.

And before you ask: Currently I have 3TB net. 6 TB net would be the minimum
target. 9TB sounds nicer. So if you have 512b HD recommendations with 2/3TB
each or a good JBOD suggestion, please let me know!

Kind regards,
   JP