> From: Edward Ned Harvey (opensolarisisdeadlongliveopensolaris)
>
> Stuff like that.  I could go on, but it basically comes down to:  With
> openindiana, you can do a lot more than you can with ESXi.  Because it's a
> complete OS.  You simply have more freedom, better performance, less
> maintenance, less complexity.  IMHO, it's better in every way.

Oh - I just thought of an important one - make that two, three...

On ESXi, you can't run ipmi-tools.  Which means, if you're configuring ipmi,
you have to do it at power-on, by hitting the BIOS key, and then you have to
type in your encryption key by hand (20 hex chars).  Whereas, with a real OS,
you run ipmi-tool and paste on the ssh prompt.  (Even if you enable ssh prompt
on ESXi, you won't get ipmi-tool running there.)

I have two systems that have 3ware HBA's, and I have some systems with Dell
PERC.

Yes you can, with the help of Dell, install OMSA to get the web interface to
manage the PERC.  But it's a pain, and there is no equivalent option for most
HBA's.  Specifcally, on my systems with 3ware, I simply installed the solaris
3ware utility to manage the HBA.  Which would not be possible on ESXi.  This is
important because the systems are in a remote datacenter, and it's the only way
to check for red blinking lights on the hard drives.  ;-)