Thanks Eugen.

yea, i am with Hetzner, but no hardware passthough... As for ESXi, i am
happy with it, but its not booting from USB... its using the disk to boot
from... I am thinking of using a USB key to boot from though... just need
to figure out how to remotely do this and if i should...

Thanks again!

--Tiernan

On Wed, Nov 7, 2012 at 12:16 PM, Eugen Leitl <eu...@leitl.org> wrote:

> On Wed, Nov 07, 2012 at 12:58:04PM +0100, Sašo Kiselkov wrote:
> > On 11/07/2012 12:39 PM, Tiernan OToole wrote:
> > > Morning all...
> > >
> > > I have a Dedicated server in a data center in Germany, and it has 2 3TB
> > > drives, but only software RAID. I have got them to install VMWare ESXi
> and
> > > so far everything is going ok... I have the 2 drives as standard data
> > > stores...
> > >
> > > But i am paranoid... So, i installed Nexenta as a VM, gave it a small
> disk
> > > to boot off and 2 1Tb disks on separate physical drives... I have
> created a
> > > mirror pool and shared it with VMWare over NFS and copied my ISOs to
> this
> > > share...
> > >
> > > So, 2 questions:
> > >
> > > 1: If you where given the same hardware, what would you do? (RAID card
> is
> > > an extra EUR30 or so a month, which i don't really want to spend, but
> > > could, if needs be...)
>
> A RAID will only hurt you with all in one. Do you have hardware passthrough
> with Hetzner (I presume you're with them, from the sound of it) on ESXi?
>
> > > 2: should i mirror the boot drive for the VM?
> >
> > If it were my money, I'd throw ESXi out the window and use Illumos for
> > the hypervisor as well. You can use KVM for full virtualization and
> > zones for light-weight. Plus, you'll be able to set up a ZFS mirror on
>
> I'm very interested, as I'm currently working on an all-in-one with
> ESXi (using N40L for prototype and zfs send target, and a Supermicro
> ESXi box for production with guests, all booted from USB internally
> and zfs snapshot/send source).
>
> Why would you advise against the free ESXi, booted from USB, assuming
> your hardware has disk pass-through? The UI is quite friendly, and it's
> easy to deploy guests across the network.
>
> > the data pair and set copies=2 on the rpool if you don't have another
> > disk to complete the rpool with it. Another possibility, though somewhat
> > convoluted, is to slice up the disks into two parts: a small OS part and
> > a large datastore part (e.g. 100GB for the OS, 900GB for the datastore).
> > Then simply put the OS part in a three-way mirror rpool and the
> > datastore part in a raidz (plus do a grubinstall on all disks). That
> > way, you'll be able to sustain a single-disk failure of any one of the
> > three disks.

Tiernan O'Toole
blog.lotas-smartman.net
www.geekphotographer.com
www.tiernanotoole.ie
  • [zfs-discuss] Ded... Tiernan OToole
    • Re: [zfs-dis... Sašo Kiselkov
    • Re: [zfs-dis... Edward Ned Harvey (opensolarisisdeadlongliveopensolaris)
      • Re: [zfs... Dan Swartzendruber
        • Re: ... Edmund White
          • ... Dan Swartzendruber
        • Re: ... Edward Ned Harvey (opensolarisisdeadlongliveopensolaris)
          • ... Edward Ned Harvey (opensolarisisdeadlongliveopensolaris)
            • ... Eugen Leitl
              • ... Edward Ned Harvey (opensolarisisdeadlongliveopensolaris)
          • ... Jim Klimov
            • ... Edward Ned Harvey (opensolarisisdeadlongliveopensolaris)