On Wed, Nov 07, 2012 at 12:58:04PM +0100, Sašo Kiselkov wrote:
> On 11/07/2012 12:39 PM, Tiernan OToole wrote:
> > Morning all...
> >
> > I have a Dedicated server in a data center in Germany, and it has 2 3TB
> > drives, but only software RAID. I have got them to install VMWare ESXi and
> > so far everything is going ok... I have the 2 drives as standard data
> > stores...
> >
> > But i am paranoid... So, i installed Nexenta as a VM, gave it a small disk
> > to boot off and 2 1Tb disks on separate physical drives... I have created a
> > mirror pool and shared it with VMWare over NFS and copied my ISOs to this
> > share...
> >
> > So, 2 questions:
> >
> > 1: If you where given the same hardware, what would you do? (RAID card is
> > an extra EUR30 or so a month, which i don't really want to spend, but
> > could, if needs be...)

A RAID will only hurt you with all in one. Do you have hardware passthrough
with Hetzner (I presume you're with them, from the sound of it) on ESXi?

> > 2: should i mirror the boot drive for the VM?
>
> If it were my money, I'd throw ESXi out the window and use Illumos for
> the hypervisor as well. You can use KVM for full virtualization and
> zones for light-weight. Plus, you'll be able to set up a ZFS mirror on

I'm very interested, as I'm currently working on an all-in-one with
ESXi (using N40L for prototype and zfs send target, and a Supermicro
ESXi box for production with guests, all booted from USB internally
and zfs snapshot/send source).

Why would you advise against the free ESXi, booted from USB, assuming
your hardware has disk pass-through? The UI is quite friendly, and it's
easy to deploy guests across the network.