Oracle effectively forked ZFS with the release of Solaris 11 by not
open-sourcing any of the ZFS code.

Solaris 11 includes ZFSv31 or higher.

The last open-source release of ZFS was ZFSv28.

Thus, if you create a pool on Solaris 11+ that you want to import on other
systems, you have to manually tell it to create a ZFSv28 pool, and not use
the defaults.

On Thu, Dec 13, 2012 at 8:14 AM, sol <a...@yahoo.com> wrote:

> Hi
>
> I've just tried to use illumos (151a5)  import a pool created on solaris
> (11.1) but it failed with an error about the pool being incompatible.
>
> Are we now at the stage where the two prongs of the zfs fork are pointing
> in incompatible directions?
>
>   ------------------------------
> *From:* Matthew Ahrens <mahr...@delphix.com>
> On Thu, Jan 5, 2012 at 6:53 AM, sol <a...@yahoo.com> wrote:
>

> I would have liked to think that there was some good-will between the ex-
> and current-members of the zfs team, in the sense that the people who
> created zfs but then left Oracle still care about it enough to want the
> Oracle version to be as bug-free as possible.
>

> There is plenty of good will between everyone who's worked on ZFS --
> current Oracle employees, former employees, and those never employed by
> Oracle.  We would all like to see all implementations of ZFS be the highest
> quality possible.  I'd like to think that we all try to achieve that to the
> extent that it is possible within our corporate priorities.

Freddie Cash
fjwc...@gmail.com