At 04:42 PM, Friday, 11/1/02, Marc A. Schindler wrote:
Of course they're true. But what do you mean by "true"? Scientists use a
different definition, and this is where the apparent contradictions arise.
Science is forever tentative and can only deal with the physical data it has at
hand. It's been very useful and I wouldn't want to do without it, but you can't
get teleological (purpose-related) or transcendent (things having to do with
spiritual matters) from it. I'm one of the strongest defenders of the scientific
method here, probably, so don't get me wrong, but I also know its boundaries.
D&C 93:24
24 And truth is knowledge of things as they are, and as they were, and as they are to come;

If scientists are using any other definition for "true," then they need to rethink their position. And the last I heard scientist were frequently teaching "thing as the are, and as they were, and as they are to come." Well... this last one is scientists like Gregory Benford and Isaac Asimov who were not only scientists but first-rate science fiction authors.

If scientist are trying to learn and teach what happened in the past, then they are using the same definition for "true" that religious folk are. I think the dictionary actually comes quite close to this too.

You say that science is "forever tentative." Because of the principle of continuing revelation couldn't you say the same thing of the gospel? Once more I find the distinction a distinction without a difference, John Pratt and Marc Schindler notwithstanding. Both science and religion are trying to tell me what happened many thousands of years ago. And religion at least has some very old written records to buttress their claims. The oldest secular writings, from ancient Sumer, also speak of a Great Flood.

John W. Redelfs [EMAIL PROTECTED]
"To me, boxing is like a ballet, except there's no
music, no choreography and the dancers hit each other."
-- Jack Handy

/// ZION LIST CHARTER: Please read it at ///
/// http://www.zionsbest.com/charter.html ///