Oh Dear Scott:
        I had no idea what you have been through.  I get off of ZION for
a few years, and everything falls apart!!
        As I read between the lines, I see a great deal of suffering and
sorrow and am reminded of what Eve said in the Garden--that we must needs
pass through sorrow in order to know joy.
         I'm sure you are beginning to experience some of this.  [and of
course, there is a pun here too--you will notice <tongue in cheek> that
Joy starts with JO.  (get it?  you must needs pass through sorrow in
order to know JOy??)]
        Anyway, as I sat listening to that in the temple on Friday, it
really meant more to me then it ever has before in my life.  It was sad
when my dad died--I cried and thought that was the worst.  But in a
couple of months, I was doing pretty good.  I remember appreciating
little things a lot more.  But, losing my spouse has been much worse.  I
have never experienced greater sorrow than losing Tom.  Never.  It
doesn't mean there won't be greater sorrows ahead, but for me, right now,
this is it.  It's been a bit over 7 months, and I still am not doing very
well.
        However, I must say that the gospel, the teachings, the
scriptures, have made this transition for me MUCH easier.  I cannot
imagine going through this without it.  I was not ready--emotionally or
financially--and trying to rebuild both at the same time is a real
struggle.  (of course, when it rains it pours--in June I was doing the
"good Mormon mother" thing and taking my inactive boys to see the Nauvoo
Temple open house when my van's tranny died and there I was, stranded in
the middle of Illinois.  $1600 for repairs, $300. for car rental etc.
etc. )
        I cannot tell you how grateful I am for a ward family who stepped
up, and continues to step up, to help me out.  (Not to mention the ward
members in Ottawa, Illinois who housed us and fed us.  What a relief.  We
did make it to the Open House, and in fact did almost everything I had
planned.)
        Even my cynical teenage son has been impressed at how "connected"
we are through the gospel.  It's more than just a "church"
connection--it's much deeper.  I believe that most members of the Church
truly  "mourn with those that mourn, comfort those that stand in need of
comfort and bear one another's burdens that they may be light."   I've
experienced it first-hand and am still in awe of how incredible it is.

I know, I've rambled--my heart is just full and I wanted you, Scott, to
know how much we care about you and that we DO feel the pain of what
you've been through--maybe not as intensely, but we do know and
understand it.

your sis in Mishawaka, Indiana (licking wounds inflicted from Boston
College--it was definitely the Green Jerseys!)
val

On Mon, 4 Nov 2002 20:49:48 UT Scott McGee <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>