Well, I can say that I do know. China has spent billions on new
technology in the last decade. They have purchased much of it, such as
ICBM technology during the Clinton era (under the guise of satellite
rocket technology). You don't hear about it much, but they are also
spending lots on NBC weapons (nerve, biological, chemical). They have
been purchasing submarines from Russia and have been pressing our
defenses. Remember our AF plane that made the emergency landing on a
Chinese island after the Chinese AF jet hit it? It has become a rather
constant event over the past few years: the Chinese AF intimidates our
cargo planes as they fly near their waters (usually going to Taiwan), in
order to push the envelope.  They have one of the best defense systems
around, much better than the flak that Saddam Hussein tosses blindly up
in the air when we hit Baghdad.
Although we are still technically better and more skilled, their numbers
allow them an advantage we don't have. A war with them would end up in
mass casualties on both sides. And they wouldn't fear using the bomb,
because the Chinese believe that they would survive a nuclear attack due
to their sheer mass of people.

K'aya K'ama,
Gerald/gary  Smith    gszion1 @juno.com    http://www
.geocities.com/rameumptom/index.html
"No one is as hopelessly enslaved as the person who thinks he's free."  -
Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Paul:
I can't argue with this because I don't know. I hope you're wrong Dan
because the Chinese could become a real threat in the future once they
get their ducks in line.

Paul O

Only $9.95 per month!
Visit www.juno.com