China used to supply technology to India, but India's now far more advanced than
China. They have never supplied anything to Pakistan as far as I'm aware, who was
the US client in the region during the Cold War. China also has some major border
issues with India, and India has given refuge to a number of Tibetans, which
rankles Beijing. They even had a few border skirmishes in the Himalayas back in
the 70s or 80s, iirc. India was primarily the Soviet Union's client during the
Cold War. They almost certainly have provided all kinds of assistance, including
military and technological, to North Korea.

Our sister province in China is Heilongjiang, the NE-most province of China
(capital, Harbin, which is also Edmonton's sister city; their second city and
actual centre of the oil industry, Daqing, is Calgary's sister city. Heilongjiang,
an oil-producing region, is not known for its technology (although it's made
recent impressive advances) but I believe a lot of primary resources were sent to
North Korea from the Heilongjiang area over the years. Or through Heilongjiang in
any case. In an interesting coincidence of "nordicity", Heilongjiang and Alberta
are both partnered with Hokkaido, Japan.

Which reminds me, if Cousin Bill is listening, but a Hokkaido court has deemed it
illegal for bathhouses to exclude foreigners, long a sore spot with foreigners,
even those who are Japanese citizens.

ObNameDropping: Two anecdotes --

1. A company I was working for before I got into medical products, a company
that's now defunct, made powerful image analysis systems for the interpretation of
satellite imagery. It was a kind of AI software and we added special array
processors to a VAX 780 to power it, but the real IP was the software, which used
"intelligent pixels" and performed various kinds of transforms and filters to it
to get all kinds of data. We sold several systems to Wuhan University (in the
south, west of Shanghai) who used it to develop a system using LANDSAT V (US),
SPOT Image (French) and RADARSAT (Canadian) satellites to make very quick
estimates of rice yields in different areas, and also to explore the Xinjiang arid
region to the NW, an area populated largely by non-Han peoples such as the
Uighers, who are Muslim (this area is also known as East Turkistan, but that's a
"non-word" in official Chinese, just as "Tibetan" is and for the same reason).  As
it says on the website of the Chinese embassy in Ottawa, " In July 1985, Mr. LI
Xiannian, President of China, made a state visit to Canada, the first one by the
President of China to Canada after the establishment of diplomatic relations
between the countries. President LI Xiannian met with Governor General Jeanne
SAUVE and Prime Minister Martin Brian MULRONEY and held talks with them." The
position of president is ceremonial, like a governor general here, or the
Bundespräsident in Germany, but he and his entourage toured our plant, as we were
doing a lot of business with our company (my colleague, who covered China and East
Asia, has even been to Urumqi, the capital of Xiangjiang, near Lon Nor, where
China's nuclear testing facility -- their equivalent of Alamogordo, if you will --
one of the few western businessmen to go there at the time).

I shook Pres. Li's hand, which means I have personally met someone who was a
veteran of the Long March and a confidant of Mao Zedong, so there's only 1 degree
of separation between me and Mao.

2. The Vice-Governor (Science) of Heilongjiang came to Edmonton on an official
visit before I went on sick leave, a visit I co-hosted (although of course it was
my minister, the Minister of Innovation and Science, and the Minister of
International and Intergovernmental Relations who were the official co-hosts --
Marv and I did all the leg work, though  (I've emailed Marv, my co-host
counterpart in IIR to get her name and the date of the visit, because I can't
remember). It would have been in the summer of 2001, in any case. She was a very
nice, unassuming but dignified lady. The first thing Marvin, my colleague at IIR
did, when we picked them up at the airport in a big rental van, was stop off on
the way downtown at an inobtrusive but good quality Chinese restaurant (a real
one, not North American style) because we found out they had all, including the
vice-governor (who's the counterpart of a minister), flown economy class on
China's national airlines from Beijing to Vancouver without stopover and with no
meals served on the flight, and then had taken an additional Air Canada flight
from Vancouver which was a late night flight and so likewise did not serve any
meals.  We ended our trip with the ritual exchange of gifts after a meeting at a
fancy restaurant here called Characters (very nouveau up market), and I remember
the Vice-Consul from the Chinese consulate-general in Calgary sitting next to my
boss, slowly getting drunk on Chinese rocket fuel, which they call liqueur (I
think it does double-duty; very efficient that way). It was 80 proof stuff, like
commercial vodka or rum, and this fellow (about which I wish I could tell more,
but I'm constrained by the Public Service Act of Alberta. There's a story I'm
straining to tell, and will tell JWR privately when he's here) kept pushing drinks
on my boss, who is LDS. I was sitting right across the table from them, and it was
amazing to watch the tact that my boss used to deny drinks. It was the proverbial
iron fist in a velvet glove. I complimented him on it, and he said he'd had lots
of practice on trips to China and Japan. It basically consisted of changing the
subject.

Pronunciation guide: Heilongjiang = HIGH-loong-JYONG
Harbin = Ha&bin, equal emphasis on both syllables; & is the Chinese "r" and "l" --
like the Japanese, one sound covers both of these letters in most cases. It's like
our "l" except the tongue touches the hard palate very quickly and lightly while
making it, and not like an "l" where the tongue touches the teeth.
Daqing = dah-TSING
Xiangjiang = HSEE-AHN-gahng.
Urumqi = (in Mandarin, not the local language) OO-&oom-OO-tsee

Uighur, the traditional western spelling, is also spelled Uyghur and there is a
separatist movement there, which refers to their "state" as either East Turkistan,
or Uyghirstan. Here's more information on their situation:
http://www.taklamakan.org/erkin/Press/wpjul298.htm "Uighur" is pronounced more or
less like WEE-ghoor, where "gh" is a gutteral like a voiced German "ch".

"John W. Redelfs" wrote:

> After much pondering, Gary Smith favored us with:
> >Although we are still technically better and more skilled, their numbers
> >allow them an advantage we don't have. A war with them would end up in
> >mass casualties on both sides. And they wouldn't fear using the bomb,
> >because the Chinese believe that they would survive a nuclear attack due
> >to their sheer mass of people.
>
> Has China been at all involved in supplying nuclear technology to India,
> Pakistan, or North Korea? --JWR

“Man will occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of the time he will pick
himself up and continue on” – Winston Churchill