Seems to me that a few years ago this list had a single sister on it who
said she preferred being single in the Celestial Kingdom, and just being
a ministering angel in God's presence. That being the case, there may be
more to this than we think...
Gary

Sandy and Melinda Rabinowitz wrote:

> George Cobabe wrote:
> >
> > There are those on this list that in the past have argued that Eternal
> > Marriage is NOT essential for exaltation.  Exaltation is living in the
> > presence of God the Father and receiving His blessings.  Yet it is
> > suggested
> > that to live in the Celestial Kingdom it is not necessary to have an
> > Eternal
> > Marriage.
>
> Still, it's possible to be in the Celestial Kingdom and NOT be exalted.
>
> I think that's where the misunderstanding among members comes in.  D&C
> 131 indicates that temple marriage is needed for the *highest degree* of
>
> the Celestial Kingdom.  On the basis of that scripture, it does appear
> that a single person might be able to enter at the lowest degree.
>
> But the lower degrees of the Celestial Kingdom represent a type of
> eternal damnation.  Yes, persons designated for that place can be in the
>
> presence of both the Father and the Son, but exaltation goes beyond
> being in their presence, and means becoming as God in all things, up to
> and including godhood.  If you can receive a degree of Celestial Glory,
> yet be unable to attain the status of godhood (being designated, for
> instance, as a ministering angel), then by definition, one's progression
>
> stops and damnation occurs.
>
> Still, in practical terms, I don't know how likely it would be for a
> single person to reach the lower degrees of the Celestial Kingdom.  For
> if someone desires to enter into the covenant, makes the needed
> sacrifices, yet cannot locate a suitable companion, teachings indicate
> that provision will be made later in the post-mortal existance.  At the
> other extreme, someone who goes out of their way to avoid temple
> marriage could be judged as being rebellious or disobedient...perhaps
> the judgment might even be in the direction of the Terrestrial Kingdom?
>
> In the middle, I suppose, are those individuals who seek to be obedient
> in the Gospel in most things, yet don't care one way or the other about
> temple marriage.  Then they die without being sealed to a companion,
> realizing too late that they should have given the matter greater
> attention.  They might have been exalted, but for their diligence in
> seeking an eternal companion.  I suspect it would be these individuals
> who would become the ministering angels in the lower Celestial rhelms.
> (But would there be that many?)  Even so, all this would be my personal
> speculation.
>
> All the best,
> /Sandy/
>
> --
> The Rabinowitz Family, [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> Spring Hill, Tennessee

Gerald (Gary) Smith
geraldsmith@ juno.com
http://www.geocities.com/rameumptom