George Cobabe wrote:

> There are those on this list that in the past have argued that Eternal
> Marriage is NOT essential for exaltation.  Exaltation is living in the
> presence of God the Father and receiving His blessings.  Yet it is
> suggested
> that to live in the Celestial Kingdom it is not necessary to have an
> Eternal
> Marriage.

Still, it's possible to be in the Celestial Kingdom and NOT be exalted.
I think that's where the misunderstanding among members comes in.  D&C
131 indicates that temple marriage is needed for the *highest degree* of
the Celestial Kingdom.  On the basis of that scripture, it does appear
that a single person might be able to enter at the lowest degree.

But the lower degrees of the Celestial Kingdom represent a type of
eternal damnation.  Yes, persons designated for that place can be in the
presence of both the Father and the Son, but exaltation goes beyond
being in their presence, and means becoming as God in all things, up to
and including godhood.  If you can receive a degree of Celestial Glory,
yet be unable to attain the status of godhood (being designated, for
instance, as a ministering angel), then by definition, one's progression
stops and damnation occurs.

Still, in practical terms, I don't know how likely it would be for a
single person to reach the lower degrees of the Celestial Kingdom.  For
if someone desires to enter into the covenant, makes the needed
sacrifices, yet cannot locate a suitable companion, teachings indicate
that provision will be made later in the post-mortal existance.  At the
other extreme, someone who goes out of their way to avoid temple
marriage could be judged as being rebellious or disobedient...perhaps
the judgment might even be in the direction of the Terrestrial Kingdom?
In the middle, I suppose, are those individuals who seek to be obedient
in the Gospel in most things, yet don't care one way or the other about
temple marriage.  Then they die without being sealed to a companion,
realizing too late that they should have given the matter greater
attention.  They might have been exalted, but for their diligence in
seeking an eternal companion.  I suspect it would be these individuals
who would become the ministering angels in the lower Celestial rhelms.
(But would there be that many?)  Even so, all this would be my personal
speculation.

All the best,
/Sandy/

--
The Rabinowitz Family, [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Spring Hill, Tennessee