But only if the current Constitutional powers are obeyed and honored.
When we have mayors in San Francisco and elsewhere giving out marriage
certificates in defiance of the law, then what piece of paper is there
that can establish the law? And when judges overstep their proper role
and legislate from the bench, then what happens if they ignore Congress?

Or what happens if Congress does not have the cajones to moderate the
courts? Pushing an amendment gives them reason to act on the lesser
action of moderating the courts. Without the impetus given of an
amendment, we have no pressure on Congress to act. So, even if it
doesn't pass, or it takes years, I'm for the amendment going forth in
discussion; if only to get Congress to do its duty.

Gary Smith

Steven Montgomery wrote:

> At 08:29 AM 3/23/2004, Ron Scott wrote:
>
> > >Obviously these "thoughtful judges" are simply
> > >wrong--in light of the
> > >Church's teachings on this subject, as well documented by Jim.
> >
> >Must I point out to you, of all people, that church teachings are
> >not part of the U.S. Constitution, which is the guide that judges
> >have pledged to support and uphold. It's quite obvious that the
> >those who support the amendment also believe that the U.S.
> >Constitution does not give judges sufficient guidance on the
> >matter. Otherwise, an amendment would not be necessary.
> >
> >RBS
>
> Powers not given are powers denied. See the 10th Amendment:
>
> <Quote>
> The powers not delegated to the United States by the Constitution, nor
> prohibited by it to the States, are reserved to the States respectively,
> or
> to the people.
> </Quote>
>
> I do agree with you, that an amendment is not necessary.
>

> --
> Steven Montgomery
> [EMAIL PROTECTED]
>
> Moral Anarchy is the seedbed of Tyranny--R. W. (Bob) Lee

Gerald (Gary) Smith
geraldsmith@ juno.com
http://www.geocities.com/rameumptom