Jeff Victor wrote:
By default, Solaris Containers do not have resource controls. Up through S10 11/06 you could add many resource controls to Containers, directly or indirectly, but some of them were... 'challenging' to use. ;-)

S10 7/07 improves the situation greatly, moving many of the 'indirect' controls (e.g. physical memory capping) into the 'direct' category. In doing that, it also made them much easier to use. But default settings are still absent.

This was clearly demonstrated in a recent research paper at Clarkson University. They compared resource isolation of 4 different v12n solutions: Vmware Workstation, Xen, OpenVZ and Containers. I did a quick summary of the Containers conclusions: http://blogs.sun.com/JeffV/date/20070510 . That blog has a link to the paper, too.

I would like to gather thoughts and opinions on this omission: should Containers have default RM settings? Is there a better method to solve this problem? If not, which settings should have defaults?

It might make sense to use FSS for all zones, but some work may be necessary to avoid creating new problems. If that can be done, assigning a default of 1 share per zone would make sense.

A reasonably large default value for physical capped-memory might be valuable, but might cause its own problems, e.g. more support calls: "I have 1GB of freemem, but the system is paging! Why?!?"

Etc.  Thoughts?

When we were talking about this problem a year or so ago we first thought
that the idea of zone "templates" would be a good way to solve this
problem.  This is:

6409152 RFE: template support for better RM integration

The idea we had was that when you initially create your zone you would
do so from one of a set of pre-configured templates.  We would deliver
various templates that had good settings for the various RM controls.
At the time this idea didn't fly because we didn't have enough capabilities
in zonecfg to do much real work with resource management (we had two
rctls and the pool property).  Things are much better now that we
have the duckhorn project integrated.

Templates would be very easy to implement but maybe there are some
other, better ideas where you don't even need to make a choice.  After
we did duckhorn Dan had the idea of being able to set some of the
controls as percentages.  This is:

6543082 zonecfg should allow specification of some resources as percentage
        of system total

I think if we implemented that then maybe we could just have some defaults
for those controls that would automatically be set when you first create
your zone.

For FSS, zones already default to 1 share if you don't explicitly set
the rctl.  I would really like to make FSS the system default scheduling
class if you are running zones.  However, we do need to add some of the
IA support into FSS if we want to do that.  I don't think we have a RFE
open for that.

I'm curious to hear what other folks think,
Jerry