Jerry Jelinek wrote:
Jeff Victor wrote:
By default, Solaris Containers do not have resource controls. Up through S10 11/06 you could add many resource controls to Containers, directly or indirectly, but some of them were... 'challenging' to use. ;-)

S10 7/07 improves the situation greatly, moving many of the 'indirect' controls (e.g. physical memory capping) into the 'direct' category. In doing that, it also made them much easier to use. But default settings are still absent.

This was clearly demonstrated in a recent research paper at Clarkson University. They compared resource isolation of 4 different v12n solutions: Vmware Workstation, Xen, OpenVZ and Containers. I did a quick summary of the Containers conclusions: http://blogs.sun.com/JeffV/date/20070510 . That blog has a link to the paper, too.

I would like to gather thoughts and opinions on this omission: should Containers have default RM settings? Is there a better method to solve this problem? If not, which settings should have defaults?

It might make sense to use FSS for all zones, but some work may be necessary to avoid creating new problems. If that can be done, assigning a default of 1 share per zone would make sense.

A reasonably large default value for physical capped-memory might be valuable, but might cause its own problems, e.g. more support calls: "I have 1GB of freemem, but the system is paging! Why?!?"

Etc.  Thoughts?

When we were talking about this problem a year or so ago we first thought
that the idea of zone "templates" would be a good way to solve this
problem.  This is:

6409152 RFE: template support for better RM integration

The idea we had was that when you initially create your zone you would
do so from one of a set of pre-configured templates.  We would deliver
various templates that had good settings for the various RM controls.

Another option for RM templates would be that the template is a pointer to a set of RM defaults instead of being used directly during zone creation. This way, changing RM settings of existing zones would simply entail changing the template in one place. Or, when moving a zone to another class of RM defaults, by changing the template reference in that zone (i.e. from SUNWsmall to SUNWmedium).

Menno

--
Menno Lageman - Sun Microsystems - http://blogs.sun.com/menno