Jerry Jelinek writes:
> > This document describes in detail how the packaging bits will be taken
> > care of.  But how are patches re-run to update the zone on attach?  We
> > don't have copies of the patch metadata (the scripts) around in usable
> > form, do we?  Do we just 'assume' that those patches never do anything
> > useful to any non-global zone?
>
> The patch bits are handled in the same way that they are currently handled
> for a freshly installed zone.  That is, those changes are already merged
> into the bits as well as the spooled pkg data that we have in the global
> zone.

Yep; I know.  I was asking more about the patch-related scripting.

>  When we install a new zone the bits from the global zone are copied
> into the zone and the spooled pkg is used to update the editable
> and volatile files as well as the metadata for the pkg that is stored in
> the zone.

This is actually a different case.  With the usual patch install
scenario, one may need to worry about the zones on the system today
and the zones that are yet to be installed in the future.  This
project introduces a new case: new un-upgraded zones may now show up
in the future, long after the patch scripts have run.

I think the assumption needs to be that we'll just never have a patch
script that needs to muck about in existing zones.  Right?

> > One alternative would be to modify pkgadd/pkgrm (or deliver new bits
> > from Install) to expose the features you need.  I assume that the
> > reason you're not doing this is that delivery of Install updates on
> > which this new feature depends would be more difficult.  Is that
> > right?
>
> Yes, thats right.  Plus, I am hoping this is a relatively short-term
> solution and that as the longer term caiman project evolves this
> kind of feature will move back into the core install capability.

I didn't see it on that roadmap, but ok ...