Jerry Jelinek writes:
> OK, sorry for misunderstanding your point.  Actually, I think the
> assumption is different.  I think the assumption is that patching
> leaves the bits and spooled pkgs on the system in a state that is
> suitable for installing the pkg into a zone.  And, what is a new use
> case now, is that this has to apply not only to fresh zones, but to
> zones that have been previously installed.

Yes; that's exactly what I'm asking about.

> However, I am not sure this is really anything new.  When we are upgrading
> a system from one Solaris update to the next, I believe the pkgs we are
> installing are in this state.  That is, a Solaris upgrade from one update
> to the next does not install the patches as a separate step, it expects
> the pkgs to be pre-patched.

Yes.

>  Is that your understanding as well?  So maybe
> there could be an issue if we had a patch that was not suitable for use in
> a Solaris update but that was issued asynchronously?

... or that was just handled differently in the update.  I know we've
done some special things in patches outside of the updates, especially
with zones and outside of ON.  I'd suggest asking Enda O'Connor about
these, so that (if it is a problem) you can at least detect it and
fail out.

>  I will add some material
> explaining this assumption to the proposal.

OK.