On 1 Aug 2005, at 16:04, Tres Seaver wrote:
We have been doing it in CPS for a while, in a "CPSCompat" product. It's
very easy, this is python, we can monkey-patch everything we need.

The problem with that approach is that it introduces the risk that
bugfixes never make it back to the underlying product, because nobody
has the incentive (beyond good intentions) to land them.  <span
class="ironic">Of course, nobody would actually succumb to that
temptation.</span>

My policy is to include in CPSCompat only code that has alreay been checked in to the CMF 1.5 branch or (or Zope 2.8 branch), and excatly that code (no additional patches). This avoids the problem you mention, because I know the code I need will be in the next minor release, so everything gets to be maintained properly.

Florent