--On 29. Februar 2008 14:07:57 +0100 Jens Vagelpohl <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

On Feb 29, 2008, at 13:17 , Andreas Jung wrote:

--On 29. Februar 2008 13:09:01 +0100 Wichert Akkerman <[EMAIL PROTECTED]
> wrote:

My personal opinion: I'd rather see the interface-based solution
in a
few weeks or a couple months (the next Zope release) than the, umh,
less-than-professional solution that will stick around forever. As
such solutions have a tendency to do. "It works now" absolves
everyone
from the task to come back later and improve the solution, so no one
does.

Sorry, I can't follow...what is the outcome?

I volunteer to add the interface to the Zope 2.10-2.11 branches and
trunk
right now. This would be good enough for you for writing the related
adapter. The related code can be moved already into the Zope core on
the trunk (but not for any of the release branches).

I misunderstood one thing here. You only talked about the interface, but
I kept thinking implementation as well :-)

So my desired outcome was
implementation plus interface, so that everything is ready to be used
with the next release.

I gave you the interface and you'll put the implementations as adapters
for all indexes you need into GS.

With the interface alone we only help those
indices that are not part of Zope itself, since the Zope core indices
apparently won't be able to have a working implementation until Zope 2.12
comes around..?

Sure - through adaptation with the GS core. You can of course depend at some point that the core indices implement the behavior on their own. But adapter approach allows you to deal with the GS problem right now and you don't have to wait until Zope 2.12.

Andreas