----- Original Message ----- From: "Dieter Maurer" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: "Jonathan" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Cc: <zope-dev@zope.org>
Sent: Thursday, September 28, 2006 4:21 PM
Subject: Re: [Zope-dev] Future of ZClasses

Jonathan wrote at 2006-9-28 15:11 -0400:
For internal applications I would rather leave the ZClasses in place and try
to fix whatever breaks when zope is upgraded, however the application that
caused my initial question is for an external client (with no in-house zope
expertise of their own) and they are not at all pleased with the idea of
having to 'fix things' everytime they update their zope version.

Who speaks about every time (of an upgrade).

I remember 2 (small) ZClass related problems after Zope upgrades
and 1 time (for Zope 2.8) where ZClasses were not ready
for the Zope beta version.

The Zope 2.8 port of ZClasses was probably a significant effort
(Thank's Jim). It is not unlikely that they will die should another
such effort be necessary.

However, for the next releases, no such effort is on the horizon.

We might see small (unanticipated) problems like the 2 mentioned

In this particular instance, I am going to have to 'bite-the-bullet' and
remove all traces of ZClasses, so that they can upgrade to future versions
of zope without fear.

It is your choice. I will not argue against it....

In this particular instance the client is a government department. They do not want to have an application that requires a specific skill set (ie. mine) in order to do an upgrade (they have an internal policy about keeping all o/s and application platforms current - which they do themselves). As much as I would like it, they do not want to hire me everytime they do an upgrade (could be a good business concept though!)