Martijn Faassen wrote:

Technically, I think that this is going to be hard. You'd need to patch in the magic acquisition base class. Acquisition is the main reason that some of the code needed to be duplicated - without the existence of acquisition wrappers, security checks are not made for view access and things just won't work.

I think if we could finish the philikon-aq_parent branch (or whatever it's called) that makes it possible to do acquisition using __parent__ pointers, we'd be a lot closer.

Hanno and Philipp know more, but I think it's reasonably close.

We do explicit acquisition in those bits of code, but it's still a pain and leads to confusion around self.context in views being acquisition-wrapped weirdly, breaking some expectations around aq_parent.

And other bizarre things sometimes.

The way to get rid of many of these problems would be to get rid of the need for acquisition. Philipp started a branch long ago that allows the acquisition system to look at a __parent__ pointer if no acquisition wrapper is present. Since our views have __parent__ pointers, this should fix the issue. This branch has been lingering in an "almost ready" state for a long time now.

Ah, great minds think alike. ;)

Martin