Previously Martijn Faassen wrote:
> How to get out of that bind? We could consider renaming Zope 3. Is there
> any potential for this?

I doubt many see Zope 3 as a finished product - I get the impression
everyone is using it as a grab bag if tools to build their own
applications. It certainly has not seen any marketing push in that
direction, unlike Zope 2. This suggests that renaming Zope 3 is not

> If we don't call Zope Framework "4.0", we'll be fine. We should call its
> first release 1.0 and there's no implication of a progression.

To stir things up: I would like to suggest renumbering the next Zope 2
release to Zope 4. That reflects the large refactoring that is being
done to clean up the codebase and fully eggify Zope. There are enough
changes to warrant a new major version bump.

Wichert Akkerman <>    It is simple to make things.                   It is hard to make things simple.