On Fri, Apr 02, 2010 at 04:23:25PM +0200, Adam GROSZER wrote:
> MG> On Fri, Apr 02, 2010 at 12:29:48PM +0200, Adam GROSZER wrote:
> >> Hello Wichert,
> >>
> >> Because of our toolchain to release and deploy apps: mypypi and
> >> keas.build. In fact, because of keas.build depends on zc.buildout.

> MG> Why not do
>
> MG>   python2.x bootstrap.py
>
> MG> and then use
>
> MG>   bin/buildout
>
> MG> instead of the globally-installed buildout?
>
> MG> Marius Gedminas
>
> The way you install your app with is:
>
> $ install -u https://build.twollo.com/buildouts/ -p Twollo -V QA --latest
>
> Where the install script comes with keas.build.

Overriding the standard Unix 'install' command is not a good idea IMHO.
In fact it's a Bad Idea.

> At this point nothing exists from your app on the server, not even a
> .cfg or svn checkout.
> This invokes "buildout -c
> https://build.twollo.com/buildouts/Twollo-QA-2.3.4.cfg -t 2...."
> or something like this.
> (See http://pypi.python.org/pypi/keas.build/0.1.6 for details)
> That will gather all necessary packages from (your private) pypi
> server.

An interesting approach.  Looks quite reasonable from first sight.

> And that's why I would need zc.buildout installed globally.
> It seems to be rather easier to do on a new server:
> <install setuptools>
> $ easy_install zc.buildout==<whatever version>
> $ easy_install keas.build
> $ install <my favourite app's install parameters>
> and done
>
> I know, doing a checkout and bin/buildout sounds easier, but there's a
> lot more behind keas.build than just ``install``.
>
> The actual problem is that zc.buildout launched by keas.build must be
> the same version as pinned in the .cfg.

Maybe it would make sense to add a command-line option for buildout to
override version pins?

  bin/buildout -t 2 -c configfile --pin zc.buildout=1.4.3 \
               --pin setuptools=0.9c11

with "--pin zc.buildout=" meaning "use latest version, disregarding the
pin in the config file."

> A long story... Maybe I just should kick zc.buildout to upgrade itself
> in the above situation. That would be the best on the long run.

Or that.

Marius Gedminas