Am 20.08.2012, 12:27 Uhr, schrieb Robert Niederreiter <>:

There are lots of very famous os projects hostet on github - which - without any doubt raises the reputation of github itself.

ah, the common cold defence: everyone has it so it must be good.
i doubt that github i willing to get into the doghouse by doing really nasty things - and thus getting into risk of loosing projects.

This is pure speculation, or are you privy to board decisions at Github.

lots of you also use gmail, g+ or other stuff, where i have more concerns about abuse than at github...

This irrelevant in the context of ownership and copyright.

 even the linux kernel guys seem to prefer the benefits of github.

Yes, promotional materials would have nothing to do with the commercial nature of the service. Not that I'm against a commercial service provider.

still, all your concerns are reasonable, but the claimed implications should stay lifelike.

I raised a specific objection: that the onus is on anyone with a Github account to demonstrate their code does not violate any patents in the case of a claim feels like a pretty real threat to me.

Again, as Jens has repeatedly said we should not conflate the separate items of toolchain and service provider. Zope Foundation has hardware and a proven track record in hosting. Is anyone actually criticising this?

Charlie Clark
Managing Director
Clark Consulting & Research
German Office