Am 20.08.2012, 12:27 Uhr, schrieb Robert Niederreiter <r...@squarewave.at>:

There are lots of very famous os projects hostet on github - which - without any doubt raises the reputation of github itself.

ah, the common cold defence: everyone has it so it must be good.

 https://github.com/popular/starred
i doubt that github i willing to get into the doghouse by doing really nasty things - and thus getting into risk of loosing projects.

This is pure speculation, or are you privy to board decisions at Github.

lots of you also use gmail, g+ or other stuff, where i have more concerns about abuse than at github...

This irrelevant in the context of ownership and copyright.

 even the linux kernel guys seem to prefer the benefits of github.
 https://github.com/torvalds/linux

Yes, promotional materials would have nothing to do with the commercial nature of the service. Not that I'm against a commercial service provider.

still, all your concerns are reasonable, but the claimed implications should stay lifelike.

I raised a specific objection: that the onus is on anyone with a Github account to demonstrate their code does not violate any patents in the case of a claim feels like a pretty real threat to me.

Again, as Jens has repeatedly said we should not conflate the separate items of toolchain and service provider. Zope Foundation has hardware and a proven track record in hosting. Is anyone actually criticising this?

Charlie
--
Charlie Clark
Managing Director