Jim Fulton wrote:

On Apr 16, 2007, at 11:30 PM, David Pratt wrote:

Thanks Jim. Where is PILwoTk located at the moment?

Hi Jim. Thank you for this.

http://download.zope.org/distribution/PILwoTk-1.1.5.1.tar.gz

I'll look to pull it in with a dev egg in the short term in the buildout to satisfy the dependency until this is more widely available.

I have no idea how you would do that.

For code like this that is not in eggs, I create a setup and structure for it - then store it as a package in vendor sources in svn. I have a /dev folder in root of my buildout. My buildouts are in svn. I use svn:externals to bring the package into the /dev folder of my buildout. I add the package to my buildout like this

[buildout]
develop = .
          dev/some-source-package

When I check it out the buildout and run, a dev egg is made and the dependency met.

I don't see how that would work, given that requirements often arise from new distributions installed while running the buildout.

The pre-flight is just an idea at the moment. Buildouts present constantly changing dependencies as different package releases are made. I can see some buildouts getting into the one to two hundred egg range. I guess from my perspective, it would be helpful to see some sort of globally generated dependency output for a buildout (opposed to through each package's setup or the egg info produced).

I'm also wanting some assurance that a buildout will run to completion without fear that a recent package revision or change will break it, particularly for deployment. I don't want dependency issues to be a factor in killing the automation from executing properly - so have been thinking about this in any case. This potential exists even if the buildout has successfully run before. Many thanks.

Regards,
David

Also, at least in the case of installing eggs, I don't really see any harm in attempting the installation. Nothing gets uninstalled as part of egg installation.

I think what's needed, as I mentioned before, is output of those distributions that required the distribution that couldn't be found. I plan to provide this.

Jim

--
Jim Fulton            mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]        Python Powered!
CTO                 (540) 361-1714            http://www.python.org