Lennart Regebro wrote:

I'm hoping that Guido will see the errors of his ways, and introduce a
Python 2.7 that has more forwards compatibility than what has been
promised for 2.6, so that there can be a useable overlap between
Python 2.7 and 3.0. Maybe a 3.1 with some more backwards compatibility
will be needed to, I don't know.

DISCLAIMER: I'm not very close to the core Python/language community, nor have I paid much attention to Py3K.

Has there been a strong statement that there won't be a Python 2.7 and beyond? Will Python 2.x be actively killed off?

In the discussion on Python 2.x and 3.x compatibility, substitute the word "Zope" for "Python" and think of the irony.

Maybe it would've been better if they'd called it Cobra 1.0. Then we could've lived happily in our cohesive Python community. ;-)

Acquisition is a jealous mistress