On Sep 26, 2007, at 3:33 PM, Dieter Maurer wrote:

Gary Poster wrote at 2007-9-26 09:39 -0400:
- Remove the broken files.

I'm not sure if this is related, but I noticed yesterday at least of
couple of eggs that we are using had been removed, in this case from
zope.org.  Please, whoever is doing this, stop.  If a release is
brown-bagged as far as you are concerned for some reason, please do
not assume it is ok to delete for others.

I do not agree.

When I have understood Christian correctly, then these distributions
were not working at all (they lacked ZCML files).

Distributions not working at all should be deleted as soon
as one recognizes they are not working at all -- to limit
the damage they may cause.

Of course, not having a tag in the SVN repository is
not a sufficient reason to remove otherwise fully working
distributions again.

If you released some software that does an os.system('rm -rf .') or something, then, OK, maybe you can convince me. So, yes, I have a line past which maybe deletion is ok with me.

But I disagree with yours--code is still importable without ZCML files and I may only be using a given package in that way and relying on it in my buildouts, not having noticed the lack of zcml because it is irrelevant to me.

In the vast majority of cases--for instance, in the case of someone who apparently removed a zope.app.wsgi egg recently--it simply shouldn't be done.

So, yes, you are right, I stated an extreme position and I could be argued away from the edge. But the extremity of my position is a simple, followable rule that I certainly prefer over the case you describe.