I walk away frustrated and angry.

Not a good thing.

[5] I have a neat idea for a Zope product so I start
coding it up.  I find some bits and pieces on the web
and try installing them, only to find that parts of my
product have a name collision with parts of their

Products aren't libs. They're quite high-level and end-user specific. Take it or leave it or write your own and steal ideas from an existing one.
Perhaps you should look at them as one big Cookbook of examples?

[1] The documentation is not complete.

Yes and no. Probably complete but scattered all over the web and txt files.
We should have something like
http://www.postgresql.org/docs/ or http://dev.mysql.com/doc/

Basically, yes.  I want a tool that doesn't try to
protect me.  I want the full power of Python when I
make my web pages.  I do not want someone trying to
protect me, or that makes me jump through hoops to get
there.  I want Zope's few great features without all
of its restrictions.

Is that more clear?
Crystal clear. I hate that too. However, some restrictions can actually be good until you become a super expert because otherwise you'll write insecure or un-inheritable. I love that Python has a one-way-to-do-it approach with it's syntax but still it doesn't stop you from writing non-Guido like code like this:
def foo ( self, a = "b"): return a (1%2+3)

Yet other parts of your discussion show a
frightening lack of knowledge of web development
environments in general.

Please don't be mean.  I've been a programmer since
1979.  I've done a lot of things in this last 27
years.  If I can't make a tool dance and sing within
two years of picking it up, then the chances are that
the tool itself isn't measuring up.  If there is
something specific you want to address, please do.

I think you're right. It shouldn't be hard. Usability matters. For geeky tools too.

Peter Bengtsson,
work www.fry-it.com
home www.peterbe.com
hobby www.issuetrackerproduct.com