I've not seen whole thread so sorry if I missed something.

there were requests for our
front page and apparently everything that accompanies it in Plone,
i.e. the Plone scripts.jss, the style sheets, bunch of icon gifs,
image thumbs the logo.jpg, etc.
Maybe this is your specific configuration for tests, or something that
you are aware of (if so then sorry for telling you something obvious)
but in general things like css, js, images should be cached and not
served (always) directly by Zope/Plone instance. Properly
set up caching is a incredible performance boost. If you have no
caching then serving all this stuff from zope may also cause bigger RAM
usage as all these objects are read into memory by Zope when they're
'touched'.

Wow, this is key, clearly. What are your suggestions for the best (i.e. least resource-intensive) form of caching?

Alex