On Sat, 20 Oct 2001, Aaron Newman wrote:

> I read in the FAQ that there is no way now to do dynamics in the official
> ABC language.  How are people handling this?

the FAQ should be updated. In actual fact, many ABC applications support
dynamics; abcm2ps, jaabc2ps, abc2midi, to name but a few. Please check out
the ABC draft, http://www.gre.ac.uk/~c.walshaw/abc/abc-draft.txt

> I am working on a (yet another) free ABC music editing and display program,
> and for some reason I overlooked this originally.

that's very good! What kind of application are you writing? I hope it's not
yet another abc2ps clone... in that case, it would probably be a better idea
contributing code to existing programs like abcm2ps or jaabc2ps.

Also: have you checked out Note Editor,
http://tan.informatik.tu-chemnitz.de/~jan/noteedit/noteedit.html ?

It's an astounding graphical music editor, but it lacks ABC export. If
you're a talented programmer, you might consider helping that project.

> Also, I would also like the language to be able to handle jazz, so I would
> be adding some additional note ornaments ('doits', falls), how is this
> recommended?

I can't help you here. It looks like most ABC programmers add their own
extensions to ABC to make it suitable for classical music or else, so adding
decos for jazz would be just fine. (IMHO.) It breaks the standard, though.

Ciao,
        Guido =8-)

--
Guido Gonzato, Ph.D. <gonzato at sci . univr . it> - Linux system manager
Universita' di Verona (Italy), Dipartimento Scientifico e Tecnologico