On Mon, 22 Oct 2001, Taral wrote:

> On Mon, Oct 22, 2001 at 08:56:15PM +0100, Richard Robinson wrote:
> > >     |F2A2Bc&F2c2bc|
> >
> > Is this the same syntax that abc2mtex used to use ? And, is there much abc
> > out there that uses it ? I used to have a few, I _think_ I've migrated
> > them all to use the newer and easier "V:" - being 2-part all the way. This
> > coud well make it easier to drop an extra voice in for just a few
> > measures, but backwards-compatability issues can be a pain ...
>
> I'm mostly foregoing backwards compatibility in the case of new features
> like this. I'll check on abc2mtex.

It used a syntax with a '&' to separate 2 voices, before the V: was
suggested. Looked pretty much like what you're saying, but involved
something extra in the K: line, iirc, which no-one else really adopted.

Backwards compatability generally ... tricky issue. There's a lot of ABC
out there by now, I'd think that the more of it a library could handle,
the more likely that library woud be to get accepted. Or maybe all the
developers just want to write their own, I don't know.

I don't really rate as a developer, but a certain amount of that old ABC
is mine :) I've always fiddled about with my own perl filters & stuff to
make things work the way I want, but have always shied away from writing
an abc parser. big job, and imho there are plenty already, with their
associated incompatabilities, which I don't want to increase. If a
well-separated-out library looked like getting at least some acceptance I
might want to look into the perl/C interface, by way of getting a perl
parser without writing one.  Good luck with it.

> > > .- and -- operators:
> > >     Dotted and dashed ties (not sure about these two)
> >
> > As a shorthand for "(ab.)", do you mean ?
> >
> > > .(...) operator:
> > >     Dotted slurs (not sure about this one)
> >
> > like "(a.b.c.d.)" ?
> >
> > I wonder if these are worth it ? Or do I misunderstand ?
>
> No, no, these aren't syntactic sugar. I need ties where the curved line
> which is drawn is made of dots or dashes to indicate that the two notes
> in question are not always tied together (different voices/verses, for
> example).

Ah, right, I see.

--
Richard Robinson