On Mon, 22 Oct 2001, Taral wrote:

> I'll take this time to announce that I am working on a "libabc" that
> eventually will handle abc file parsing so that development of new abc
> applications is easier.

If this can find its way into general acceptance, it would be a Good
Thing.

> I'd also like to announce that I will be making the following amendments
> to the standard in libabc:
>
> & and && operators:
>     The & operator will be used for splits into 2 voices in a single
>     measure, thus:
>
>     |F2A2Bc&F2c2bc|

Is this the same syntax that abc2mtex used to use ? And, is there much abc
out there that uses it ? I used to have a few, I _think_ I've migrated
them all to use the newer and easier "V:" - being 2-part all the way. This
coud well make it easier to drop an extra voice in for just a few
measures, but backwards-compatability issues can be a pain ...

> .- and -- operators:
>     Dotted and dashed ties (not sure about these two)

As a shorthand for "(ab.)", do you mean ?

> .(...) operator:
>     Dotted slurs (not sure about this one)

like "(a.b.c.d.)" ?

I wonder if these are worth it ? Or do I misunderstand ?

--
Richard Robinson