Richard Robinson writes:

Taral writes:
>>& and && operators:
>>    The & operator will be used for splits into 2 voices in a single
>>    measure, thus:

>     |F2A2Bc&F2c2bc|
>
> Is this the same syntax that abc2mtex used to use ? And, is there much abc
> out there that uses it ? I used to have a few, I _think_ I've migrated
> them all to use the newer and easier "V:" - being 2-part all the way. This
> coud well make it easier to drop an extra voice in for just a few
> measures, but backwards-compatability issues can be a pain ...

        I'm also curious as to whether this was ever used enough to raise
any worries about backward compatibility.  Abc2mtex does use this syntax to
write multi-staff music.  I think it was just an experiment, and as far as I
know it was never part of the standard, and was never adopted by another
program.  I tried it once or twice, and it worked on the very simple stuff I
fed it, but I found it hard to use, and, above all, *very* difficult to
proofread and correct.  The problem is that one often needs several &'s in a
measure, especially with more than two staves, and it gets quite finicky to
disentangle the abc in order to figure out which staff a given note is
supposed to be on, or to find a note which needs to be corrected.  I thought
it would be much easier if one had a pre-processor which would take the
present abc multistaff notation and put in the ampersands to feed to
abc2mtex.  This would give it a more user-friendly multi-staff capability,
and avoid the need to write &'s in the abc.

Cheers,
John  Walsh