About self: you don't like Metzinger's neurophilosophy I presume?  (Being No
One is a masterwork in my view)

I agree that integrative biology is the way to go for understanding brain
function ... and I was talking to Walter Freeman about his work in the early
90's when we both showed up at the Society for Chaos Theory in Psychology
conferences ... however, I am wholly unconvinced that this work implies
anything about the noncomputationality of consciousness.

You mention QED, and I note that the only functions computable according to
QED are the Turing-computable ones.  I wonder how you square this with your
view of QED-based brain dynamics as noncomputable?   Or do you follow the
Penrose path and posit as-yet-undiscovered, mysteriously-noncomputable
quantum-gravity phenomena in brain dynamics (which, I note, requires not
only radical unknown neuroscience but also radical unknown physics and
mathematics)

-- Ben G

On Tue, Oct 14, 2008 at 10:03 PM, Colin Hales
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>wrote:

>  doowwwwnnnn....below.
>
> Mike Tintner wrote:
>
> Colin:
>
> others such as Hynna and Boahen at Stanford, who have an unusual hardware
> neural architecture...(Hynna, K. M. and Boahen, K. 'Thermodynamically
> equivalent silicon models of voltage-dependent ion channels', *Neural
> Computation* vol. 19, no. 2, 2007. 327-350.) ...and others ... then things
> will be diverse and authoritative. In particular, those who have recently
> essentially squashed the computational theories of mind from a neuroscience
> perspective- the 'integrative neuroscientists':
>
> Poznanski, R. R., Biophysical neural networks : foundations of integrative
> neuroscience, Mary Ann Liebert, Larchmont, NY, 2001, pp. viii, 503 p.
>
> Pomerantz, J. R., Topics in integrative neuroscience : from cells to
> cognition, Cambridge University Press, Cambridge, UK ; New York, 2008, pp.
> xix, 427 p.
>
> Gordon, E., Ed. (2000). Integrative neuroscience : bringing together
> biological, psychological and clinical models of the human brain. Amsterdam,
> Harwood
>

> Colin,
>
> This all looks v. interesting - googling quickly. The general integrative
> approach to the brain's functioning is clearly v. important.
>
> A Distinctive Paradigms/Approaches. But are any distinctive models or more
> specific paradigms emerging? It isn't immediately clear why AGI has to pay
> special attention here. Can you do a bit more selling of the importance of
> this field.
>
> I can't overstate the importance of the integrative biology approach. There
> are properties in the electrodynamics of whole collections of brain material
> *which have nothing to do with connectionism*, but are intimately and
> critically involved in the regulatory processes of learning. They appear in
> NO current models of the brain. They are visible in the brain when treated
> as an excitable cell  syncytium and involve *all of it*...astrocytes are
> just as important (maybe more so) as neurons. And this includes all forms of
> connectivity: radiative, conductive and via gap junctions, endocrine/genetic
> regulation  You do not get this story unless you treat the whole matter
> hierarchy as a single unified system in all its contexts. Integrative
> neuroscience is the banner under which this kind of work will tie it all
> together into one story.
>
> B Models - I notice some researchers are developing models of the brain's
> functioning. Are any worthwhile? I called here sometime ago for a Systems
> Psychology and Systems AI, that would be devoted to developing overall
> models both of the intelligent brain and of AGI systems. Existing AGI
> systems like Ben's offer de facto models of what is required for an
> intelligent mind. So it would be v. valuable to be able to compare different
> models, both natural and artificial.

> [...]

Ben Goertzel, PhD
CEO, Novamente LLC and Biomind LLC
Director of Research, SIAI
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

"Nothing will ever be attempted if all possible objections must be first
overcome "  - Dr Samuel Johnson