Jan,

On Fri, Jul 30, 2010 at 4:47 PM, Jan Klauck <jkla...@uni-osnabrueck.de>wrote:

> > This brings me to where I came in. How do you deal with irrational
> > decision
> > making. I was hoping that social simulation would be seeking to provide
> > answers. This does not seem to be the case.

Have you ever taken a dispute, completely deconstructed it to determine its
structure, engineered a prospective solution, and attempted to implement it?
I have. Sometimes successfully, and sometimes not so successfully.

First, take a look at Nova's *Mind Over Money* episode:
http://video.pbs.org/video/1479100777/

The message here isn't so much that people create unstable systems around
themselves, but rather, that the (present) systems sciences predictably lead
to unstable systems.

Getting people to act in what may seem at the moment to be ways that are
contrary to their interests is a MAJOR challenge. Indeed, much of the AGI
discussion on this and other forums concerns ways of *stopping* AGIs from
effectively intervening in such instabilities. How can you, the participants
on this forum, hope to ever bring stability to our world when one of your
own goals is to preserve the very sources of those instabilities?

IMHO the underlying problem is mostly too limited of intelligence in most
people. They are simply unable to comprehend the paths to the very things
that they are seeking, and hence have absolutely no hope of success.

You can't write a good Chess playing program unless you have first been a
serious chess player. Similarly, I suspect that demonstrated skill in IR is
a prerequisite to creating any sort of effective IR program. Hence, I would
welcome an opportunity to play on that field, as I suspect others on this
forum might welcome. This should be facilitated, and then watch to see which
approaches seem to at least sometimes work, and which seem to predictably
fail. Once past this, I suspect that the route to an effective IR program
will become more obvious.

> Models of limited rationality (like bounded rationality) are already
> used, e.g., in resource mangement & land use studies, peace and conflict
> studies and some more.

These all seem to incorporate the very presumptions that underlie the
problems at hand. For example, the apparently "obvious" cure for global
warming is to return the upwind coastal strips to forests and move human
development inland past the first mountain range. This approach should turn
the great deserts green (again), provide an order of magnitude more food,
and consume the CO2 from all of the air and oil still in the ground, plus
lots of coal in addition. Of course no one seriously considers this, because
it involves bulldozing, for example, most of the human development in
America between the Pacific Ocean and the top of the Cascade Mountains.
While the rewards almost certainly exceed the cost, the problem is that the
corporations who own these developments would commit limitless resources to
influence "the best government that money can buy" to stop any such project.

> The problem with those models is to say _how_much_ irrationality there is.

YES. Some say that my proposal for bulldozing the upwind strips of the
continents is irrational, not because it won't work, but because it hasn't
been experimentally proven. Once past computer simulations, the only way to
"prove" it is to try it. Judge for yourself which side of this argument is
"irrational".

> We can assume (and model) perfect rationality

I don't think so! You may also question this after viewing the NOVA episode
above.

> and then measure the
> gap. Empirically most actors aren't fully irrational or behave random,
> so they approach the rational assumptions. What's often more missing is
> that actors lack information or the means to utilize them.

In short, they lack a lot of everything needed to make rational decisions,
not the least of which are rational questions to decide. Most "questions" in
our world contain significant content of irrational presumptions, yet people
feel compelled to participate in the irrationality and decide those
questions. Any (competent) AGI would REFUSE TO ANSWER, and would first
redirect attention to the irrational content of the questions.

Steve