Mbak Munarti

Ini saya kopikan article tanda-tanda kelahiran dan tahapan melahirkan dari
homepage pampers. Semoga dapat membantu.

Fenny

Signs of Labor
Content created by  <<...>>
Labor is different for every woman, and pinpointing when it begins is not
really possible. It's more a process than a single event, when a number of
physiological changes in your body work together to help deliver a baby.
This section will help you determine if you're truly in labor. As always,
don't hesitate to contact your health care provider if you're unsure or have
questions.
 <<...>>

What are the signs of labor?
* The cervix becomes progressively thinner and softer (also called
effacement) and dilated (up to 10 centimeters).
* Contractions occur at regular and increasingly shorter intervals, and
become longer and stronger in intensity.
* Persistent lower back pain, especially if it's accompanied by crampy,
premenstrual feeling.
* The appearance of bloody show (a brownish or blood-tinged mucus
discharge). If you pass the mucus plug that blocks the cervix, labor could
be imminent--or it could be several days away. Still, it's a sign that
things are moving along.
* Breaking of the bag of waters, but only if it's accompanied by
contractions.

When should I call my doctor or midwife?
By your third trimester, you and your provider have probably talked about
what to do when you're in labor long before you really are. But, if you
think the time has come, don't be embarrassed to call your doctor or
midwife. They're used to getting calls from women who are uncertain if
they're in labor and who need guidance-it's part of their job. And the truth
is, your doctor or midwife can tell a lot by the tone and tenor of your
voice, so verbal communication helps. Your provider will want to know how
close together your contractions are, whether you can talk through a
contraction, and any other symptoms you may have.
Bag of Waters
If your bag of waters break, or if you suspect you're leaking amniotic
fluid, call your caregiver. You should also let her know if you suspect a
decrease in fetal activity, or if you have any vaginal bleeding, unless it's
just some bloody show (characterized by a small amount of blood-tinged mucus
plug), fever, severe headaches, changes in your vision, or abdominal pain.

What should I do early on in labor?
During early labor, it's very important to drink plenty of fluids. Alternate
between walking and resting, or try taking a warm bath or shower to ease any
aches and pains. And if you can, try to get some rest to prepare you for the
work ahead.
Can I have contractions and not be in labor?
Absolutely. You're in false labor if your cervix doesn't dilate (your doctor
or midwife can confirm this during an examination), contractions are erratic
and don't feel increasingly intense, and any pain you may feel in your
abdomen or back is easily relieved by a warm bath or massage. Try drinking
water to manage irregular and unproductive contractions.
One mother we know had strong contractions for three days before she was
officially in labor. The contractions, though painful, were completely
irregular and unpredictable, coming at five minutes, then seven, then eight,
then five, and eventually at eight minutes. When her water finally broke,
she cried with relief, hoping she was finally entering real labor. She was.

Can I tell if labor is about to happen soon?
Maybe. Although you're probably blissfully unaware of all that's going on,
your body starts preparing for labor up to a month before delivery. By the
time true labor begins, some women's cervixes have already started to dilate
and thin.
Other signs:
* Lightening when the baby's head begins to drop into position in your
pelvis
* An increase in vaginal discharge
* The appearance of bloody show (a brownish or blood-tinged mucus discharge)

* More and noticeably more intense Braxton Hicks contractions

Stages of Labor
Content created by  <<...>>
Although pregnancy books and childbirth classes divide labor neatly into
three stages, every woman's experience is different. For first-time mothers,
labor and delivery averages 14 hours, although for plenty of women the
process lasts more than 20, and for a lucky few it's much quicker.
Subsequent deliveries average around eight hours.
 <<...>>

Early phase/first stage
The first stage of labor results in the cervix dilating to a full 10
centimeters and consists of early, active, and transitional phases.
What happens
During the early phase, or latency period, when the cervix is warming up for
labor, effacing and dilating up to five centimeters, you'll probably be able
to putter around the house, take a walk, watch a video, take a warm bath, or
maybe even nap.
How long it lasts
This phase can take from 12 to 14 hours, although it's often considerably
shorter for second and subsequent babies.
What it feels like
Usually, these contractions are regular and intense and much more painful
than Braxton Hicks contractions. Sometimes the contractions in latent labor
can be quite painful and still progress slowly. If this happens, don't be
worried--each woman has her own rhythm and pace of labor. (And a few women,
however, may not even be aware of these early contractions and may proceed
directly to the active stage.)

Active phase/first stage
What happens
By the active phase, your contractions will probably be coming strong enough
and frequently enough that your doctor will tell you to go to the hospital.
During this phase, the cervix begins to dilate and efface more rapidly,
opening to eight centimeters. Contractions come more frequently--every three
to four minutes and lasting for 40 to 60 seconds--and with much greater
intensity.
How long it lasts
This phase can take minutes or last for up to six hours, although it can
vary greatly. If your water hasn't broken yet, your doctor may break the
membranes during this phase.
What it feels like
If you've opted for pain relief, by this time you may have had an epidural,
which means you'll feel pressure, not pain, in your pelvic area. And you'll
need to be lying down.
If you're going the drugless route, the real work of labor has begun.
Breathing exercises and relaxation techniques are essential at this point,
as is a good labor coach. You'll be able to change positions and move around
the room if you choose and if the baby's tolerating labor, enlisting gravity
as a labor aid.
This is a good time to take a warm shower or bath, if you have access to a
tub. Warm water can really help ease the pain of actual labor. It's not
uncommon for a woman to sink into a tub when she's five or six centimeters
dilated, relax, and be fully dilated an hour later.

Transition/first stage
What happens
During the transitional phase, the cervix dilates from eight to 10
centimeters at an average rate of one centimeter every 15 minutes.
Contractions last an average of one to one-and-a-half minutes and occur
every two to three minutes.
How long it lasts
Mercifully, this stage goes much more quickly than the first two, lasting
anywhere from 15 minutes to two hours.
What it feels like
Even if you've had an epidural, you'll feel much more pressure now. If
you're going au natural, this is the most transcendental phase of labor,
with contractions coming hard and fast and symptoms that might include
shaking, shivering, and nausea. Many women report that this phase is so
intense they feel like they're having an out-of-body experience.

Second stage
Once the cervix has dilated to 10 centimeters, the work of the second stage
begins--delivering the baby.
What happens
Your baby's born, as you push him or her out through your now-dilated cervix
and into the vaginal canal. It's a heady experience, to say the least.
You'll feel the contractions and often have an involuntary urge to push.
With an epidural, some women need to be instructed on when to push; this is
where your labor and delivery nurse and birth coach play a crucial part.
How long it lasts
This stage can last anywhere from minutes (mostly for second-time and later
mothers) to more than three hours and is characterized by contractions that
come every two to five minutes and last about 60 to 90 seconds.
What it feels like
Even if you've had an epidural, you may feel an overwhelming urge to push at
this point. Your doctor, midwife, or labor nurse will coach you through the
pushing, telling you when to push and when to hold back. You'll feel a
variety of incredibly intense sensations, including shaking and nausea, but
also huge relief that the end is finally in sight. And no matter how you
deliver, chances are you'll feel true euphoria as your baby leaves your
body--and is placed in your arms.

Third stage
What happens
In the third stage, you deliver the placenta.. After the baby is born,
contractions resume after a few minutes and continue at five-minute
intervals, but at a much lesser intensity. These contractions cause the
placenta to separate from the uterus, allowing you to push out the placenta
and the surrounding membranes entirely. The doctor or midwife examines it to
make sure it's intact, and will continue to check if your uterus is clamping
down properly in order to stop the bleeding from the placenta attachment
site.
How long it lasts
Delivering the placenta can take from five to 30 minutes. In the following
hour or so, or while waiting for the placenta, the doctor or midwife will
observe you and perform any stitches, if needed, to repair tears or an
episiotomy.
What it feels like
Your focus has probably shifted to your baby now, and you may hardly be
aware of all that's going on in your vaginal area, particularly if you've
had an epidural. You may get a case of the shakes due to adrenaline and the
adjustments your body immediately starts making after delivery. Some mothers
we know have been surprised by the strong and frequent afterpains, which
feel like contractions, that follow the birth of second and subsequent
babies. Generally they last on and off for several days, but you'll feel
them most in the first days. If they bother you excessively, ask your
medical practitioner for pain medication. But all those concerns will pale
in comparison to finally having your baby in your arms.

Kirim email ke