Date: Tue, 20 Jul 2004 21:22:14 -0500
From: "Alex Cagann" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: "Aziz Meruani" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
   "BMW List" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Rust repair (Toronto)

As you are probably aware, the only way to repair that properly is to remove
ALL the rust. Rust is cancer, and the slightest bit left behind will come
back. That area needs to be sandblasted, then all metal filler, then
repainted and clearcoated. If they do what you have had estimated, the rust
will be back within one year. Sanding the area will not remove all the rust,
no way. AFAIK, BMW bodies are warrantied to 100k or 10 years for rust or
corrosion. Tell them to fix it right or you will be back again and again.
Unless this area has been repainted from some accident you or the previous
owner has had, they are fully responsible. If it has not been repainted and
is factory paint, then obviously someone knicked that area when they were
assembling the car at the factory...all the way to bare metal, and you are
seeing the result. Another thing you should ask them, and something I am
familiar with being a dealer, is that the BMW dealer in your area will
either have a body shop there, or they will have ONE bodyshop they usually
do business with. This body shop will have tons of experience with BMW's and
know their stuff...find out who this is and insist the work is completed
there.

Alex Cagann
http://www.autoconsortium.com